Taking pictures underwater, is a totally different photography experience. First, one has to deal with water movements or currents. Second, one has to deal with moving targets...as in fish. Fish like to move fast, darting in and out of coral. Just when you think you're going to capture the Kodak moment, the fish is gone. Sometimes you have to anticipate it's next movement, but that's a true guessing game. Sometimes, it just requires taking the picture and hoping for the best.
Here's what we saw while snorkeling in the Caribbean:



The pictures above were taken using the Canon S90 point and shoot camera with a Canon underwater housing. The camera was set to "underwater" mode and the included flash diffuser was attached to the housing. I don't recall the flash going off as we were snorkeling in bright sunshine most of the time.
I have to admit that most photography guidelines are not used while photographing underwater. Creative composition is key meaning if you see something you like, snap away. I admire folks that can take a clear picture of fish or marine life, centered or not. It's not that easy.
More pictures to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment