Friday, December 30, 2011

The Nikon Coolpix AW100

For the last two years, I've been doing some research on waterproof/shockproof/drop-proof point & shoot cameras.  My research led me to the Canon D10 and possibly one by Panasonic.  The D10 had mixed reviews.  The IQ (image quality) was way above average and to my liking.  Underwater photos were coming out superb quality and great colors.  Unfortunately, the camera itself was plagued by software/hardware issues.  It also appeared to be hit or miss.  Kind of like...it works great all the time or you get a lemon.  Another issue was a leakage problem.  I believe that is the result of operator error.  If you follow the instructions in the manual, there shouldn't be a leakage problem.

As you can see, my primary usage for an all weather camera is...snorkeling.  For the last 4 years, I've used an Olympus 790 SW p&s camera.  It has traveled with me to several Caribbean islands where I snorkeled in the water and played on the beach.  Earlier this year in Aruba, my tough Olympus finally leaked.

I couldn't bring myself to get the Canon D10.  It's always been on the top of my list for picture quality, but the nagging software/hardware issues were prevalent as I was reading more and more consumer reviews.  A few months ago, Nikon finally announced a new camera...the Coolpix AW100.

Now, I don't want to remind a camera salesperson that I spoke to two years ago about the possibility of Nikon making a waterproof/shockproof camera.  The sales person laughed at me and said "Nikon wouldn't dream of getting into that market".  Well, they finally have done it.  I believe they are the last well-known camera manufacturer to enter this market.  And about time!

So, I present to you a new toy!

Nikon Coolpix AW100 with a sturdy single side latch


Back view with simple buttons



I have yet to test this baby underwater.  I did wander around the house taking pictures to see if this camera could handle what I threw at it.  At first, I was disappointed at the IQ results.  I ended up having a chat with myself...reminding me that this is no match and no comparison to my fancy Canon S90 p&s camera.  My S90 has a lot of bells and whistles.  My new AW100...does not.  


The next two pictures were taken in the late afternoon.  Here is my new floor standing easel:  






No flash - ISO 400


With flash - ISO 200


Silk flowers test:


No flash - ISO 800


With flash - ISO 200

Random pictures test:

No flash - ISO 800 (notice the grainy background)




With flash - ISO 200



No flash - ISO 800

I think the AW100 is a decent camera.  I would not use it for low light photography.  That's why I have my Canon S90.  The AW100 produces pretty good pictures when the flash is used.  I will be testing it outdoors (daylight) where I plan on using this camera the most.


Oh...back to my beloved Olympus p&s camera.  While I was snorkeling in Aruba early this year, the camera decided to get an error message.  More like my whole LCD display was screaming an orange error message.  I immediately took the camera out of the water.  Several times I turned the camera off and on and several times I ended up with an LCD looking like a scrambled TV.

My hubby kept telling me that I was trying to bring back some of that Caribbean ocean with me:


My Olympus 790SW work horse (media & battery) drying out

Once back on the ship, I dunked/rinsed my camera and left it to dry.  After a few hours, I opened the compartment door and pulled out my media card and battery.  Sure enough they had wet spots all over.  I removed the water and let them dry out overnight.    

The camera still works, but I can no longer use it near water.  It will be a matter of time before it will stop working.  I'm sure there are bits of dried salt inside the camera.  I believe the seals have worn out because of use and age.

I will testing out my new AW100 in a sink full of water to make sure it doesn't leak and the buttons function properly.  The real test will in the Caribbean next month!



1 comment:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I hope your new camera works even better then your last underwater and without any leakage problems.

Thank you for enquiring about my camera, it is a Panasonic Lumix super zoom, fixed lens FZ35 (which has since been superseded). I have a post on it dated July 7th. I edit my photos in iPhoto. I am looking into buying a DSLR.