Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Wedding on Friday

I had a chance to take some wedding photos for a dear friend from my church.  I didn't know I would be the primary photographer until the morning of.  I went into work for a few hours and in the back of my mind I was thinking about which lens to use, which flash to bring and do I bring two DSLRs.

I ended up using my Nikon D7000, 18-200mm lens, 40mm micro lens, and my new SB-700 speed light.

Here are some shots using my 40mm micro lens and no flash:

In the Sanctuary with the lights turned up






I was told that the bride didn't like her picture taken.  I was astonished to hear this, but then decided to ignore the comment and do what I do naturally.  Take pictures.  As I was talking to the bride, I noticed she was very at ease with me.  I just picked up my camera and started taking pictures.  As you can see, she didn't seem to mind:





In my travels around the church I caught a quick photo of the rings:



The groom and his attendants were in the Fellowship Hall with other family members and friends.  I casually took their pictures and they decided to ham it up with me:



A photog moment with the children in the wedding party:



The children left their baskets and a Bible on a table and went off the run and play.  I enjoy taking random pictures:



I thought I would take advantage of the Sanctuary lighting and snap this quick picture of the pianist:




The bride was patiently waiting for her moment.  She was so calm and joked with us even when we encountered a snafu:




This picture was taken in a dark hallway.  The light in the background is from a large window.  I increased the exposure (+1.0) to capture the expressions on their faces and the details of her gown.  It came out better than I expected:





Getting ready for the entrance:



In the following photos I ended up attaching my SB-700 and turning on my speed light.  The sanctuary was quite dark with limited lighting in the front platform.





I changed out my lens and went with the 18-200mm and no flash for this shot:





I turned on my flash to capture the last few shots:







I kept snapping away and was able to get this shot as the newly married couple drove off to their reception:



I enjoy taking pictures of weddings.  I find that candids are better than taking formals.  Less stress and everyone (including me) is more relaxed.  That's why you'll see a folded table in the background.  Sometimes, it doesn't help to make people move to get a photo.  Why make them feel uncomfortable?

I always keep a smile on my face as I'm taking pictures.  When I smile, my subject smiles.  A beautiful picture is taken.

Note:  I had a few episodes of hot flashing (that would be me...not my speed light).  I had a few moments where I had to walk away and cool down.  Yes, this would be the second wedding where I've had to deal with this.  It's all about remaining calm and capturing as many beautiful images as you can.


3 comments:

shirley said...

Wow, good for you! The photos turned out great.

Anonymous said...

These are great! And I imagine this was a super exciting event for you! Can't wait to see more.

2BPhotog said...

Ladies...thank you! It turned out to be fun, especially when I don't think about it (worry) too much. Just do it! Like Nike! ;)