Saturday, September 22, 2012

Made the Leap: Nikon D600

When I first saw the rumors of an intro Nikon FX camera coming out...I immediately knew a new camera would be in my future.  I just didn't know it would be this soon.  Nikon did a great job with making the announcement and then five days later had the cameras shipped to the retailers.  It only took two days of reading the reviews and specs to realize this was going to be an awesome camera.  It definitely is!

I did have the usual buyer's remorse until the camera arrived in my hot little hands.  The D600 uses the same battery as my D7000.  No waiting to charge a new battery.  I was ready to go.  I also had an extra Crumpler's Industry Disgrace strap that I attached before turning on the camera.  It's an amazing thing for me to have an extra strap...it was meant to be.

The D600 feels a bit heftier in my hands.  It's slightly bigger than the D7000.  The grip is a bit deeper.  The camera is a bit taller.  The LCD is a whopping 3.2 inches.  Looking through the viewfinder...it's huge!  The 39-focus points are the same as the D7000.  BUT...it's noticeably smaller.

I can use both my DX and of course the FX lenses on this camera.  The camera automatically knows when I switch my lens.  When I have my DX lens mounted and I look into the viewfinder, I can see a thin black horizontal window that shows me the cropped DX area.  At this point the 39-focus points look just like what you would see in the D7000 viewfinder.

The D600 handles beautifully in low light.  It's quick to focus.  So far, I've only taken 200 pictures.  I'll be back with some sample pictures and additional findings that I uncover using this amazing camera.

Stay tuned!


2 comments:

shirley said...

Yay!! So glad you took the plunge and are enjoying your new camera. Can't wait to see what you've shot.

Anita Johnson said...

Nothing quite as exciting as a new camera. I upgraded my Canon this summer, waiting for the battery to charge was the hardest part. I've enjoyed catching up on your posts.