Friday, May 28, 2010

Learning to Use a Fixed/Prime Lens


When I teach my "how to take better pictures" photography class, I suggest to the students to "zoom" with their feet. Meaning to move closer to your subject using your feet. Chances are they have Point and Shoot cameras with limited lens capability. If they want to get a close up of their subject, they need to move closer.

Naturally, I should practice what I preach. I grabbed my trusty D40 and my 35mm prime lens and went outside to capture a few floral shots as the sun started to disappear. This Nikon 35mm/f1.8 lens is known for it's low light capabilities. I put it through it's first outdoor test.

It's funny how old habits are hard to break. I kept reaching for the "ring" around the lens, hoping to zoom a bit closer to the flowers. Slap my silly hand, I can't do that with a fixed lens. I learned to lean in closer.

I was able to catch this beauty...Milkweed flower complete with ants:




Here's one of the first hydrangea flowers in bloom:




Both floral pictures were taken in Aperture Priority mode. I still need to take many more pictures and get the feel for this lens. Looking forward to taking some indoor shots and sharing the results. This is a small but sweet lens.



Camera: Nikon D40
Lens: 35mm
F-stop: 2.8
ISO: 200
Flash: None


No comments: