Sunday, May 2, 2010

Taking Pictures Without Flash


I'm making an effort to get out and take pictures each weekend. I have the Nikon D5000 which is touted for its low light picture taking capabilities. I have been putting it to the test...without flash of course. It's taken me awhile to learn how to use this DSLR with all the settings and features. I'm learning a lot about what to do and what not to do. What to set and what not to set. So far, I've owned the camera for a month and I've taken over 800 pictures. With lots of practice, I think I'm getting a handle on it. On to my adventure for the day.

I believe we broke a record today. It felt like it...90 degrees and hot! I decided to visit someplace colorful and would keep me out of the heat. My assignment today took me to Merrifield Garden Center.

Here I am in the greenhouse. It was a nice steamy hot area to be taking pictures. I hurried along, snapping away.







I enjoy roaming the garden center. You never know what you might find laying around.










There many areas decorated at MGC. I feel like I walk into different living areas. Different themes with different arrangements.






















** How-To Series: Adjusting the ISO levels **


All of these pictures were taken indoors with no flash and a steady hand. I've managed to find the setup range on the camera that will automatically set the highest ISO level at 1600 and the lowest shutter speed at 1/30 sec. My ISO is currently set at 200 automatically. I couldn't figure out why the camera kept defaulting to ISO 200 whenever I was taking low light pictures. Not good when people are in movement and the results are blurred images. So by setting the camera range to an ISO 1600, this allows the camera to adjust the ISO from 200 to 1600 in relation to the amount of light that is available. By setting the lowest shutter speed at 1/30 sec, the camera will automatically adjust (go no lower) to get the best possible picture.

This D5000 is a true winner in my book.

Camera: Nikon D5000
Lens: 18mm-200mm
ISO: 200-320
Flash: None


No comments: