Friday, March 30, 2012

In the Bag...Manfrotto


This evening, I found my new Manfrotto tripod and ball head waiting for me.  I pulled out the tripod and noticed right away the quality and how sturdy it was.  It weighs slightly under 4 lbs.

Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod legs





I opened the ball head box and immediately noticed the ball head weight.  I spent a few minutes and played around with the locks and the rapid/quick release plate.  This ball head is well made.

Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head


This new Manfrotto system replaces my old SLIK all in one tripod that I've had for 30 years.  Yes, I can't believe I waited this long to get a quick release tripod.

After much research, I knew I would end up with the Manfrotto brand.  I had to decide between aluminum or carbon fiber and then to select what type of tripod head to get.  Price (budget) was a factor in deciding which model to get.

Based on past experience and habits, I don't plan on "carrying" a tripod with me everywhere I go.  It's the same with my flash.  So, I ended up getting the aluminum version.  I went with a bigger ball head just to make sure it could handle a bigger camera or a larger lens.    

This weekend, I will put the Manfrotto to the test.  Practice, practice, and more practice.  I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy.



2 comments:

shirley said...

I still haven't invested in a tripod. I'll be interested in hearing what you think about it!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I have wondered about buying a monopod instead of a tripod. Would love to hear how you find them both and the advantages of each over the other.