Friday, November 18, 2011

Funny...I'm Still Learning About My Nikon D7k


Tomorrow will be a photog day for me.  Several activities are planned at our church.  Most of my photog opportunities will be spontaneous.  Meaning...I have no clue as to where and when I'll need to be to take pictures.  I actually like being in that kind of environment.  Don't get me wrong, I'm an organizer/planner by nature.  Sometimes my creativity doesn't work too well within those constraints.

Being married to a hubby who thrives on spontaneity, I have learned over the years to adjust.  I think I've adjusted quite well and it's helping me in this particular hobby.  People can change.  :-)

So in prepping for tomorrow's photo op, I gathered my equipment and sorted through what I was packing in my backpack.  I also wanted to try out my equipment to make sure everything was in working order.  I grabbed my heavy duty SLIK tripod (I've had for over 25 years), my D7k, and my ML-L3 wireless remote.  Click, click, click...my wireless wasn't working.  Battery issue?  Maybe.  I grabbed my hubby's remote and click, click, click...nothing.  I checked my camera menu options to make sure the remote settings were correct and they were.  I went ahead and pulled out my nifty wired remote (MC-DC2) and that worked without an issue.  At this point, I was scratching my head big time.

What does a geeky gadget person have as a last resort?  I pull out my D7k instruction manual.  I slap my silly head and realize that there's a secondary dial on the camera that needs to be switched from "S" to "remote" mode.  The remote mode icon looks just like my wireless remote controller.  Duh!

Lesson learned?  Yes.  Good idea to have a practice session and make sure everything works as it should.

 

2 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Good work. It would have been very difficult to be caught out with an issue like this. Hope all goes very well for you.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. I am notorious for leaving the camera in self-timer mode and then going to take a quick photo only to have the beep, beep, beep, beep going off in my ear. I also have both remotes and really should get in the practice of using one and not the self-timer. First I have to remember the release mode dial is there! Bad habits die hard! LOL