Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Pencil Sketch...Spiderwort Flowers


This evening I had some time to do a quick pencil sketch.  This will eventually be used as a future reference for a painting.



Spiderwort sketch

I figured out a way to take pictures of my artwork with a flash.  I prop up my sketch pad/painting vertically.  I place my Sto-Fen Omni-bounce over my SB-600 flash.  I turn my flash to the back and bounce the flash off the ceiling/wall behind me.  This so far, produces a nice even flash without any shiny highlights on the subject.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful sketch. I'm looking forward to the painting! And I so wish I could master by SB600. I've had success only once! I guess it's time to do some research and experimenting. Happy weekend to you.

2BPhotog said...

Helene...thank you. :-) The SB-600 is a great flash. I had to take a lot of pictures to figure out what works in different settings/environments. I will do a special post on what settings I use on the flash and on the camera.

Anonymous said...

A post re. the SB600 would be great! And big thank you for your comments re. my macros. I bought a Nikkor 85mm when I bought the D7000. B&H ran a special package. I would love to have a 150 or greater macro but the cost does not fit my wallet and I believe a 150 might just be too heavy. The 85mm micro is wonderful. It's turning into my 'go-to' lens.