![]() |
| My 77mm ExpoDisc with the outside facing up |
There's two sides to this ExpoDisc. On what I consider the inside is a flat plain white filter.
![]() |
| Plain side of the ExpoDisc with included lanyard |
I put this side against my lens. I then set my camera to WB Pre-Set (or custom) and take a picture at my light source with the ExpoDisc covering the lens. Basically, I'm taking an "incident reading" of the light source. After the WB shot is taken, my camera is ready to take a picture.
![]() |
| ExpoDisc place against the lens (picture from ExpoImaging site) |
I took the following picture before setting up my custom WB:
![]() |
| WB set to Auto (without ExpoDisc) |
Here's the results after using this nifty WB ExpoDisc gadget:
![]() |
| WB set to Pre-Set or custom (with ExpoDisc) |
More test shots:
![]() |
| ExpoDisc with WB set to Auto |
![]() |
| ExpoDisc with WB set to custom using the ExpoDisc |
Can you see the difference? This device is so easy to use and so far, I think it's the best WB tool. Each ExpoDisc is hand calibrated and certified for neutrality. Included in the box was a quality control card. My ExpoDisc was certified at 17.85% light transmission (close enough to the 18% neutrality). Also in the box was a nylon case (storage) and a woven lanyard (wear the disc around my neck).
The disc comes in several different lens sizes. I purchased one of the larger sizes (77mm) to accommodate my largest lens or future lens. When I use my smaller lens, I just place and hold the ExpoDisc against the lens and take a picture.
Note: the only post production I did was to crop the photos and add my copyright. Pictures were taken without flash and in a room with incandescent lighting.
Here's a link to the ExpoImagining site. Here you will find a few videos on how to use the ExpoDisc. It's pretty cool!







2 comments:
That is cool...I never heard of one of those.The whole subject of lighting has me overwhelmed, I actually sat down with my camera manual and tried to refresh my memory about white balance settings. This seems like it could eliminate a lot of post processing.
Anita...I've found this ExpoDisc to work with great results. I've tried using a calibration card without much success. Yes, it reduces/eliminates my time spent in PP. I'd rather spend my time taking more pictures or updating my blog. ;)
Post a Comment