In my quest to to nurture the right side of my brain with creativity, I took a trip to an art center. The Workhouse Art Center used to be a reformatory or correctional facility. Knowing this, I figured I would bring my camera along. I'm glad I did.
![]() |
| The Workhouse Art Center |
There are several buildings on this campus. Each building connected to a long corridor like this one:
All the bricks seen in the photos were produced by the prisoners who resided here. They built their own prison buildings.
![]() |
| Small gallery: bricks on the left side of the wall painted white |
Many different artists' studios can be found here. From mixed media to fiber arts to beading and jewelry making. I enjoyed hanging out in the studios. I'm getting ideas for my future studio.
Many of the studios looked down right comfy:
![]() |
| The oil paintings here look so realistic...like photos. |
![]() |
| Walking across the lawn |
![]() |
| Inside one of the buildings with long hallway galleries and studios |
![]() |
| Inside the ceramics building: several potter's wheels |
Here is one of three guard towers that are still standing:
![]() |
| Guard tower |
This is a very unique art center. I feel like I could spend hours here observing and learning. I'm looking forward to coming back during a work day to see all the artists in action.









3 comments:
A very interesting place both inside and out. It would be wonderful to visit while the artists are working as you plan to do.
Neat place! Love the long corridors and art rooms.
Thanks! I couldn't resist taking pictures of the buildings...inside and out. It's an interesting place.
Post a Comment