Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Trying Out a New Filter by B+W

To use a filter or not to use a filter.  That's the topic I've been reading at a photography forum recently.  There seems to be an equal divide amongst those who do and those who don't.  I prefer to use a filter on all my lenses.  I use it to protect my lens from dust, moisture, and scratches.  For the last few years, my choice has been the Hoya Pro Digital UV filters.  Until now.

As I've been researching and reading reviews for my future 85mm prime lens, I've been seeing B+W filters popping up as recommendations.  I've never heard of that brand.  I found a lot of photographers who gave that brand a high rating.  I thought I would give it a try.  After all, I'm a gadget gal at heart.

Here's a picture I took in the early evening with the new filter attached to my 40mm micro lens.  The only editing I've done is to crop, add my copyright, and resize the picture for the web.








Here's the box the filter came in.  I guess I should have taken a picture of the filter before I attached it to my lens.  See what happens when I get a new toy?  Excitement overrides reasonable thoughts.


B+W Clear UV Haze Filter with Multi-Resistant Coating

The quality of this filter is much nicer than my Hoya.  The B+W is a black brass filter ring and constructed with a high quality Schott glass.  It definitely feels sturdier.  The coating on the filter lens has Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) which causes water to bead up and slide off the filter.  Not that I have any plans to get water on  my lens.  The filter absorbs UV light and reduces the bluish cast of daylight.  The B+W filter is suppose to combat flare and ghosting and doesn't need to be cleaned as often.  We'll see how it performs and I'll be sure to report back the results.  I can tell you that I'm really liking it.  

**  Update 06/22/12  **
I took a picture of the B+W 67mm filter that I received to go with my 85mm fixed lens:


B+W 67mm filter inside its case


It's a thin filter that threads nicely on my lens.  I highly recommend this filter as it protects my lens and doesn't hinder the clarity and color of my photos.  


No comments: